Saturday, July 17, 2010
Book Club Discussion Questions for Love Finds You in Victory Heights
Are you in a book club? Love Finds You in Victory Heights offers lots of discussion possibilities. I've created a list of questions to help get the the dialog hopping.
Love Finds You in Victory Heights, WA
Book Club Discussion Questions
1. Would you be willing to leave your “normal” life and take on a factory job? What would be the challenges and benefits?
2. What are some sacrifices the folks on the home front made during World War II as depicted in the book? What challenges did they face? How do you think today’s society would respond if asked to make similar sacrifices?
3. Morale in World War II was propelled by propaganda. Can you come up with any examples of this? Do you think this was a proper way to rally support for the war effort? How would our culture respond to such propaganda today?
4. What did you learn about American history?
5. Throughout the book, tragedies of war invade the characters’ lives: Vic’s death, Kenny’s father’s injury, etc. Which of these glimpses most brought home to you war’s painful reality and why?
6. How did individuals from that era deal with their grief? How do we handle pain today? What are the similarities and/or differences?
7. The book displays many snapshots of life in the 1940s. Which scene most vividly depicts this for you? What aspects do you like best? Which are you glad we’ve moved past?
8. What are some acts of Christian friendship shown by Rosalie and Birdie?
9. Tilly becomes Rosalie’s Christian mentor in the book. Describe a mentoring relationship you have, either as mentor or student.
10. Both Rosalie and Kenny struggled with striving to “earn” approval from others and ultimately God. Can you think of examples of this from the book?
11. Have you ever struggled to earn acceptance rather than rest in unconditional love?
12. How did Rosalie and Kenny finally resolve this?